Neck Pain: We have the answer!
Neck pain: we treat this each and every day at Back In Motion, Sarasota Physical Therapy with a very high success rate. No pills. No injections. No side effects. The neck muscles hold your head up & control it to move it in all of its different directions. The neck muscles let you watch a bird soar overhead, or allow you to shake your head ‘yes’ or ‘no’. Getting a literal “pain in the neck” is a situation which nobody wants, but it’s more common than we realize. Our neck region is composed of numerous muscles & contains many nerves. The neck can suffer from a disc bulge or herniation or even pinched nerves. The neck, for these reasons, combined with its high level of motion, has a moderate risk of injury.
What can go wrong?
A muscle strain occurs when a muscle is stretched or exerted too far. A muscle tear can occur from an excessive stretch or pull beyond its normal limits.
A herniated or bulging disc is a disc that has been pushed beyond its boundaries. A disc can get to the point of bulging out of its normal area and put pressure on the ligaments, muscles, or even an exiting nerve root. Don’t worry though, a recent study by spine universe stated that over 80% of disc bulges &/or herniation’s can become sign and symptom free with the correct application of physical therapy and treatment for neck pain.
Bulging and herniated cervical discs (neck discs) can present with no symptoms initially. However, these discs can progress to tingling, numbness, shoulder/arm/hand weakness, or even shooting arm pain.
Some causes of a herniated disc are listed below:
- Inappropriate lifting technique or bending the wrong way
- Prolonged sitting or standing with poor posture
- Athletics which require body contact, running, jumping or extreme flexibility
Neck injuries can also occur from a motor vehicle accident involving whiplash injury or from a fall. The proverbial ‘straw that breaks the camels back’ is also a possibility. It is when neck pain appears out of nowhere. Over the course of time, things like poor posture or poor lifting/pulling/bending can induce a neck pain flare up.
One important aspect in the treatment of neck pain is to “unload” the neck. Keep reading for methods on how to reduce neck pain.
2 Causes Of Neck Pain
Abnormal stress on and around the neck region is one of the most common causes of injury to the neck muscles. A 2nd cause is less immediately obvious but more common: inactivity. Decreased movement and overall utilization of the neck muscles can result in a stiffness of the joints, muscles and ligaments. This will contribute to decreased blood circulation. With less blood flow comes less oxygen, growth factors and nutrients.
Neck arthritis and a lack of activity of the neck muscles ARE related.
As we age, it is more important than ever to be active. Inactivity contributes to degeneration in the bones & joints in the neck. Degenerative disc disease (DDD) is also a concern and has been linked to inactivity.
Stay active by doing the things you love to do, like walking at one of the beaches in Sarasota, swimming in the Gulf of Mexico (or your pool), or even playing tennis or golf. You don’t necessarily have to consider these activities as exercises, have fun and know that you are giving your body your best. A diagnostic test such as an MRI or an X-ray of an active senior who may look healthier than a same test performed on an inactive client in his thirties can show that the active senior has a more “youthful” cervical spine.
Call Back In Motion Sarasota Physical Therapy at (941) 925-2700 today so our team of Physical Therapists can help get your neck region to feel “younger” & move better.
Treatment For Your Neck Pain
Neck pain and neck problems such as a mild sprain or strain, may improve on its own. Follow the guideline: “if it hurts, don’t do it”. Do NOT follow the guideline: “no pain, no gain”.
Some problems contributing to neck pain or stiffness such as a pinched nerve or disc injury may require the skilled intervention of a Physical Therapist who knows a variety of treatments for neck pain that get fast acting long lasting results. At Back In Motion Sarasota Physical Therapy, we know necks. Our treatments for neck pain may include:
- Specific exercises to promote core stability of the neck
- Active Isolated Stretching to promote improved flexibility, blood flow and movement
- Revolutionary treatment with devices such as the FDA approved ML830 Cold Laser, ETPS (Neuromechanical Acupuncture) and Fenzian. These treatments promote an underlying healing at the cellular level and are not available at other physical therapy clinics in or around Sarasota Florida
- Massage Therapy with one of our licensed massage therapist to reduce muscle tension and promote relaxation
- The latest technology with Cervical Spinal Decompression
3 simple tips & tricks to maintain your neck mobility & promote pain free living:
- Maintain good posture as you are lifting. Look straight ahead and don’t look down while lifting. Do not hold your breath while lifting
- Use a foot ease or low footstool to prop up one foot for prolonged standing. Remember to alternate your feet every once in a while.
- Adjust the chair height and monitor height at your computer workstation. You should be looking straight ahead or slightly upwards, NOT downwards.
We treat a variety of neck conditions every day with a very high success rate. Cervical Spondylosis, Spondylolisthesis, Osteoarthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Disc Bulges, Disc Herniation’s, Degenerative Disc Disease (DDD), Pinched Nerves, Whiplash, and Strains/Sprains just to mention a few. If you have neck pain, do not delay. Call Back In Motion Sarasota Physical Therapy today at (941) 925-2700. We are experts at fixing problems associated with the neck.