15 healthy tips to make 2015 a Healthy Start!!
2015 is upon us. It’s now time to think about a New Year’s Resolution. Thinking about how you can become healthier, more pain-free, and how to move better are often hot subjects for many this time of the year. Make sure your resolution is ‘do-able’, stick with it, and seek the advice of those who support you.
To get you started, check out these 15 Healthy Tips For 2015:
- To promote health, start with a progressive, gradual, customized exercise program that takes into account your individual needs and past medical history. Be wary of going to the gym by yourself, or seeking the advice of a Personal Trainer who is not knowledgeable on medical problems. Your physical therapist can perform a personalized assessment and get the ball rolling.
- Be accountable. Be sure to report to someone other than yourself about your progress. Write down set, reps and how much weight you are using with your exercises in a log nda let your physical therapist know about your progress. If you are using a treadmill for example, note your speed, incline and time on the machine.
- Be confident. Be a believer in yourself knowing that you can gain strength, improve your health and improve your life.
- Visualize. Envision yourself stronger and with improved energy levels. Remain positive with expectations of health, vitality and energy. Every day you exercise gets you closer to your goals of health. Every day you exercise, it becomes a little bit easier.
- Start your day with water. Before you drink coffee, before you brush your teeth, before you eat breakfast. Drink 20 ounces of water upon waking everyday. Continue to drink water throughout the day with a goal of at least 64 ounces per day. The average adult human body is approximately 60% water. Being hydrated is important for healthy tissues, organ and cellular structures.
- Get professional assistance. You wouldn’t bring your sports car to an under trained mechanic. Do not trust your body with an inexperienced or under qualified personal trainer. Expert advice and assistance given to you by a physical therapist with a Masters, Doctoral, or Bachelors degree is important. The team of Physical Therapists at Back In Motion Sarasota Physical Therapy are experts at ‘body work’ especially for those who have a significant past medical history or history of injuries.
- Weight loss. Fat contains double the calorie density of carbs and protein. Eat less fat. Focus on a balanced diet containing lean protein, whole grains, fruits nda veggies. Limit your sugar, sugar substitutes and starches. Eliminate soda including diet soda. Weight loss and nutrition is important for a healthy 2015.
- Reading nutrition labels. Not all foods are created equal. Organic and wild/from the sea fish and free range poultry/steroid free all can promote a more healthy lifestyle change. Go to your local farmers market and shop for natural foods and promote a better variety of foods you eat. Many people follow similar food habits. Experience a world of fruits, veggies, herbs and lean protein.
- Do not ever skip meals, especially breakfast. Eating a nutritious breakfast will get your metabolism going, and keep your appetite and blood sugar levels normalized throughout the day. If you skip a meal, your body will crave more food later and the food you eat will be more apt to be stored as fat. Your body missed its last meal so it will convert to ‘starvation mode’ and prepare for more skipped meals by promoting extra fat storage. For more self help tips on diet and nutrition, read this.
- Get an ‘Exercise Buddy’ to assist you in staying on track with regular exercise.
- Consistency: exercise at least 3x/week.
- One more set, rep, minute…: gradual and safe progress. Push yourself. Stay within the limits of pain. If you are not sure about something or how to progress yourself, consult with Your PT.
- Warm up/cool down: 5-10 minute warm-up and the same amount of time to cool-down should be included every time you exercise. Stretching in the warm-up AND the cool-down should be performed to promote injury prevention.
- Set goals: attainable progressive goals. Write them down. Discuss them with your Physical Therapist.
- Give yourself incentive on reaching goals. Positive reinforcement is a great method to stay focused and progress towards your health related goals.
Do NOT Do This…………
The popular New Year’s Resolutions we commonly hear at Back In Motion Sarasota Physical Therapy are usually: “I will start exercising, I want to lose weight, I will quit smoking, I will stop drinking alcohol.” Many resolutions are not met due to common obstacles.
The 3 most common reasons for failed New Year’s Resolutions:
- Lack of a structured plan of action: a professionally created, specific routine can eliminate this obstacle.
- Lack of confidence and self esteem: our PT can establish small, progressive goals. We will focus on positive reinforcement, accountability, and reliability.
- Lack of time: our physical therapist will optimize the way you use of your time, with a plan that is customized and personalized for you and your health.
Most Resolutions Fail Unless…
A majority of New Year’s Resolutions fail. You may not get there overnight, you will likely have to put in time and effort. Take progressive steps towards your long term goal. Here are some things for you to think about:
- It is not realistic for most to say “I am going to exercise every day” and actually do it right away. Establish stepping stones as short term goals such as: “I am going to walk and/or run 3x/week for at least 30 minutes”. Once you are able to jog with comfort, up it to x4/week and so on…
- When the New Year Resolution is to lose 20 pounds, an excellent way to start off is by changing your a.m. routine from eating cheesy eggs, bacon, grits and coffee to starting your day with 20 ounces of water, and then eating fruit and egg whites.
- Don’t eliminate your favorite foods, focus on consuming a healthy variety of fruits, veggies and lean proteins. Let yourself eat an appropriate portion of one of your most delicious snacks 1x/week. (remember moderation!)
- Don’t dread going to the gym. Don’t avoid the gym because you are fearful of causing an ache or a pain. Call Back In Motion Sarasota Physical Therapy and get set up for an assessment. Start a program under the watchful eye of one of our experienced physical therapists. We can get the ball rolling and tell you what to do as well as what not to do.
As PTs, we are your Sarasota Florida specialists in exercise. Our team wants to serve you this coming year. If your New Year’s Resolution is health related this year, then we would be honored to assist you. Your physical therapist will establish real attainable goals, promote reliability and accountability, and instill you with drive by creating a customized, tailored exercise program. Based on your needs as an individual at our clinic, we will improve your strength, range of motion and activity tolerance. Back In Motion Sarasota Physical Therapy is preferred participating providers for most medical insurance plans, all auto accident insurances, all military insurances, Medicare and Medicare Replacements. Call one of our insurance specialists today at (941)925-2700 and we can tell you what your 2015 Physical Therapy medical insurance benefits are. In most cases there is little or no cost to you!